Even though metal roofs are one of the longest lasting roofing materials, they still need to be replaced sometimes. Don’t wait for a leaky roof before you call an inspector — look for these signs that your roof has reached replacement time:
- If the shingles on the edge start to curl or look like their edges are cupped
- If your roof is older than 20 years old
- If you are missing shingles or your shingles have bald spots in the granules (you’ll probably also start to notice the missing granules in your gutters as they drain off your roof)
- If you notice dark streaks on your roof (these are algae streaks and they can be removed with water and bleach but it can be very difficult)
- If little to no sunlight can reach your rooftop, moss can develop, which can damage your roof from the buildup of moisture
- We don’t recommend walking on top of your roof, but if you do and you notice that your roof starts to feel spongy or like you’re walking on a trampoline, that is a sign that your roof needs to be replaced.
To learn more about metal roofing, visit Metal Roofing Alliance’s full article.